Sunday, June 12, 2011

Be careful what you wish for!

If someone had approached me a year ago and told me that I would have travelled through Italy and Greece and now I would be leaving my level 1 trauma center in Detroit to live in St Louis with my boyfriend Adam. I would've thought they were absolutely insane and put in a petition for their psychiatric admission.
A year ago I was fairly happily employed in a small community hospital. Where I was born, my mother, grandparents and multiple other family members worked. It felt like home and I belonged. People knew my mom or grandparents and would seem to watch over me.
I must admit that my life at the time was only mediocre. I was a new nurse with only a year of experience under my belt. So I was still naive to world of medicine and full of compassion and hope. Don't get me wrong, I still have compassion and hope for my patients it's just been worn down. I was learning and it felt good to be good at something
Now my love life. After dating someone for five years the flame was a mere spark. He was my almost high school sweetheart that came back after I let him go. But there was some bad history between us and it impeded us from being able to move forward. And then finally an incident occurred, something no matter how much I would've tried to push it away it would've been there literally haunting me and in the back of my mind. People viewed us as being the couple to look up to and being perfect for each other. Underneath all the smiles was a lot of resentment. It was hard to end as we were so integrated in each others lives. But knowing things would never be the same we separated.
Soon after, I became acquainted with Adam. A knight that came out of nowhere. With so many students rotating through the hospital. I rarely make note of them, knowing they'd be gone after a couple of weeks. But this one...I inconspicuously found out his name so I could inconspicuously follow him on Facebook. Call me a stalker if you wish. I was in a relationship and noted he was as well. So the original intent was not for a romantic pursuit. A few months later our situations had changed. He asked me out, I said to myself 'why not' as he would be a change. Change was something I didn't welcome but little did I know EVERYTHING in my life was about to be turned upside down.
I expected Adam and I to go on a date and be done. Return to the meaningless hellos at the hospital. But the complete opposite happened. We went on the date, laughed, had a good time. Then went on a few more dates and just kept going with it. He was someone that didn't know me and didn't run in my circles. He was a new start. Eventually he moved back to St Louis where he's originally from and I commuted between St Louis and my brand new job in Detroit. Only returning to Michigan for enough time to work my required time at the hospital.
So here I am today. Living in a place where I know nothing and no one. I have a new job, a new boyfriend and a new life. My life is no longer mediocre and I am excited and welcoming the change. Be careful what you wish for. You might just get what you asked for.

0 comments: